Gap NZ Home
NZ Essentials
Gap Year Ideas
Working Holiday
work visas
types of work
getting a job
work exchange
LIVE job listings
Your Questions

| about GYTG | contact our team | write for us  

Gap Year New Zealand :: working holiday :: working holiday visa

Working Holiday Visa

This visa has been developed especially for gappers and backpackers. As well as letting you travel your way around New Zealand for up to two years, it also enables you to work as well.

The visa allows you to find some casual employment to fund your gap year and travels so from fruit picking to fisheries you can get some spare cash when you need it!

Can I get one?

To obtain a WHV you need to meet the following requirements:

You must

- Be between 18 and 30 years of age
- Be able to show you have access to sufficient funds to support yourself (The New Zealand High Commission currently requires evidence of access to NZ$4200 plus airfare)
- Not have any dependent children
- Have not been on a working holiday to New Zealand before

For more details see the Immigration website at

Applying for the Visa

There are various ways of applying for the UK Citizens Working Holiday Visa:


You can now apply online for your Working Holiday Visa. You need to first sign up for an NZ Immigration Online Services account by visiting here. Then follow the instructions!


The Working Holiday Visa Application form can be downloaded from the Immigration website . This must then be filled out and posted to the address below along with the correct fee and your passport. You need to supply a stamped addressed envelope for your passport to be sent back.You can now also apply online.


Working Holiday Visa Application Packs can be obtained by telephoning an automated service on 0991 100 100 (calls cost £1 per minute).

Over the Counter

Applications can be made in person between 10am-3:45pm Monday to Friday at:

New Zealand Immigration Service
NZ House
80 Haymarket

Visa Organisations

There are third party organisations which will help you get a working holiday visa. Take a look at


- Don't buy any other parts of your trip such as flight etc. before obtaining your visa. If your visa application is rejected you may lose your deposit.
- It can take your application up to three weeks to be completed if you don't apply in person
- Your passport must be valid for two years and four months when you send in your application




  Popular Pages: Gap Year Jobs | Working Holiday Visa | Gap Year Companies | Recruitment Agencies © Gap Year Travel Guide 2008